Patna Science College, a constituent unit of Patna University, was established in 1927. Initially it was opened as the Science Department of Patna University. It began functioning independently from 1928 when its foundation stone was laid by Lord Irwin on 15 November 1928. Since then Patna Science College has been recognized as a Premier Institution of higher learning in science stream in India. The College is centrally located in Patna, the capital of Bihar, occupying an area of approximately 28.32 acres of land containing separate blocks for different science departments.